Friday, September 21, 2018

Jeff Stanton on the 1990 Motocross of Nations at Vimmerby, Sweden.


“The race that year didn’t go great. Jeff Ward and Damon Bradshaw had or had bad luck and I had a bad start the second moto. We knew who we had to beat and it was Team Belgium. I just kept plucking away in the last and final moto and I knew that I had to pass this Dirk Guekens guy from Belgium at the very end of the race. I had to pass him. I followed him for a lap and I put him off the track. I’m not going to lie, I put him off the track with a lap to go and we won. What I remember the most about that was going back to the pits. I was still pretty young then and this guy comes racing back into the pits. He had a full beard and was this 40 year-old guy and he was ready to lay me out, dude! He was going through the roof. I remember Roger [DeCoster] and Dan [Bentley] staying in front of the guy. You do what it takes to win the race and that’s just what I did there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment