Monday, March 28, 2011

A BSA Built for the Island | Catalina Special

.


From the April, 2011 issue of Motorcyclist
By Thad Wolff
Photography by Andrea Wilson, Joe Neric


This whole Catalina Grand Prix thing started when I was a kid, riding dirtbikes north of Los Angeles. I heard they used to race motorcycles over on that island that I could see from my favorite riding spots. Those racers must have had the time of their lives back in the ’50s, loading their bikes on a barge, hopping on the old Catalina Steamer and rolling into the little town of Avalon to race through the streets and off into the hills. The whole idea always seemed so cool to me.



Now fast forward to 2010. BSA built a Gold Star 500 single in ’59 and named it after the race in honor of Chuck Feets Minert’s win in ’56. The logo is really neat, with BSA Catalina Scrambler printed across an outline of the island. Having never been into old English bikes, I decided to turn a ’58 BSA A10 Super Rocket 650 into something similar. My twin would wear the Catalina Scrambler logo on top of its fuel tank, along with the words Twin Special... Read more





.

No comments:

Post a Comment